Freelance Developmental, Substantive, and Copy Editor
• Copy-edit fiction and nonfiction content for correct grammar and spelling and for adherence to house style.
• Provide substantive edits for fiction and nonfiction content to improve coherence, concision, organization, accuracy, and usage.
• Provide developmental edits for novels, novellas, and short stories to improve structure, voice, plot, characters, and pacing.
• Provide manuscript evaluations.
• Consult for Whitney Award-winning author Sandra Grey.
• Consult for the Prescott Mountain Neighbors magazine.
Managing Editor and Translator
Riga Ghetto and Latvian Holocaust Museum Internship
Brigham Young University
• Spearhead the Russian–English translation and editing process for the book The Historical Materials of Latvian Jews (МатериалыпоИстории Евреев Латвии).
• Head the copy editing, proofreading, and typesetting of the text.
• Decrease project duration by collaborating with BYU’s Russian department and Linguistics department to assemble a copy-editing team to work concurrently with the translation team.
• Hold monthly meetings to resolve spelling and grammatical disparities among editing interns.
• Provide translation and copy editing instructions and feedback.
• Advertise current and future translation and editing projects.
• Help translate previously untranslated sections from Russian to English.
• Create a production schedule detailing the steps of the publishing process for the manuscript.
Acquisitions and Substantive Editor
BYU Leading Edge Magazine
Jan 2020–Apr 2020
Brigham Young University
• Selected or rejected short story submissions based on writing and story quality.
• Edited short stories for cohesion, coherence, organization, flow, sentence structure, and word choice.
• Discussed substantive edits with managing editor.
• Copy-edited short stories for grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Education and Relevant Courses
Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
Major: Editing and Publishing
Projected graduation: Dec 2021
• Basic Editing Skills: Explored editing theory and practice in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style; acquired and applied copy-editing skills and basic line-editing skills.
• Business of Editing: Developed skills complementary to editing. Skills included basic HTML, eBook conversion, press releases, copywriting, book blurbs, P&L statements, budgeting, and time management.
• Editing for Publication: Applied editing, design, and marketing principles to prepare a book for publication. Process included developmental, substantive, and copy editing; back cover blurb; typesetting; proofreading; and cover design.
• Genre and Substantive Editing: Acquired and applied substantive editing skills and freelance business strategies.
• Grammar of English: Studied the structures and names of types of sentences, phrases, and clauses.
• Introduction to Print Publishing: Developed basic skills in book cover, flyer, magazine, and business card design with Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
• Modern American Usage: Discussed current conventions and learned effective use of American English.
• Honorable Mention in the National Post-Secondary Russian Essay Contest from the American Council of Teachers of Russian
• Humanities Department Dean’s List Fall 2015, Fall 2018, and Winter 2019
• Recipient of the Abrelia C. S. Hinckley Scholarship